Further to yesterday’s blog post about linking our CKAN datastore with our EPrints Repository (to allow researchers to deposit permanent, public, citable records of their datasets), here’s a fleshed-out diagram of the proposed dataset deposit workflow process.
At the moment, this assumes a one-time “fire and forget” deposit. At some point, we’re going to have to tackle versioning.
The original diagram is available on Lucidchart. See the table in my previous blog post for details of which data fields are involved in the process (i.e. passed between CKAN, Orbital Bridge, the DataCite API, and EPrints).
This is a proposal and still has to be road-tested. Comments welcome.
Stages in the proposed deposit process:
- User enters project metadata in AMS
- AMS creates project container in CKAN
- User creates dataset record in CKAN
- Nucleus adds user metadata to CKAN
- User deposits data in CKAN
- User presses “DEPOSIT DATASET” button in CKAN
- Orbital Bridge requests DOI
- DataCite API returns DOI
- Orbital Bridge adds DOI to dataset record in CKAN
- User reviews and approves dataset metadata (making changes if necessary)
- Orbital Bridge writes changes back to dataset record in CKAN
- Orbital Bridge creates a new EPrints record via SWORD
- EPrints confirms existence of new record
- Orbital Bridge writes EPrints record URL back to CKAN dataset record