Attending: Nick Jackson, Annalisa Jones, Bev Jones, Chris Leach, Paul Stainthorp, Joss Winn
Apologies: Lee Mitchell, David Young
- Review Project Plan and Workpackages
- Status updates: Literature Review, User Requirements Analysis, Technology/Standards evaluation
- Forthcoming meetings and conferences (Agile method, Open Source policy, ERIM, Engineers, OR12, DCC, Start-up)
- Poster, papers, website
- Staffing and accommodation
Joss Winn (JW) reported in detail:
- JW reported on the work done to date (mostly relating to workpackage WP1), and reported back on:
- JW ran through the project outputs and workpackages in detail, identifying deadlines – most notably the Implementation Plan, which must be submitted by February 2012, with the following four pieces of work completed by then:
- Data sources (NJ/CL)
- User requirements (NJ)
- Literature review (PS/BJ/CL)
- Technical review (NJ/JW)
- The group discussed the further user-engagement work to be completed in workpackages WP5, including Nick Jackson’s work with the School of Engineering to assess their requirements (through workshops, questionnaires, observation, and use of the Data Asset Framework – DAF), and on a planned round-table meeting about ERIM in late January
- ACTION (NJ): dates needs to be set for user requirements exercises.
- ACTION (PS): Date in late January needs to be set for ERIM workshop with Engineers.
- PS reported on the work that he and NJ have begun to benchmark against the EPrints deposit workflow (WP8). NJ will work closely with BJ on this.
- The group discussed WP9—the planned assessment of data sources—and CL’s role as library user. There are three obvious areas where Orbital crosses over with the Library’s priorities:
- Integration with the Library’s Discovery selection & implementation project (CL)
- Integration with the Repository (BJ)
- Authentication (CL)
- The Research & Enterprise office (i.e. AJ) will lead on WP11 – developing training materials & workshops.
- JW will carry on the work with the University’s IP manager, James Murray on the correct approach to Open Sourcing code from Orbital – WP13.
- ACTION: JW to follow up contacts with EPrints Services and OSSWatch.
- Dissemination (WP14):
- PS has been invited to speak at two events in January/February. The group will aim to have a publishable conference paper ready by Summer 2012. Submit abstract to OR12 by ?.
- NJ, PS and JW are attending the project startup meeting in Nottingham on 1-2 December; presenting a poster. Also attending the DCC roadshow in Cardiff in mid-December.
- Any other business:
- JW is convening a meeting (8th December) about agile software and project development methods.
- ACTION: as many people as possible from Orbital to attend ‘agile’ meeting.